A 2012 research from Tholons, a business consulting and investment research company, has cited 5 Philippine cities in its Top 100 Outsourcing Destinations report.
The Philippines has incurred a 20% monetary increase from 2010 to 2011 through the IT-BPO industry. By the end of 2011, the country has generated $11 billion with the bulk coming from the call center industry.
Using the Tholons Location Assessment Framework, cities across the globe have been sorted into the top 10 emerged-, top 50 emerging-, and 40 aspiring hotspots for Information Technology and business process outsourcing (IT-BPO) industry.
Outsourcing Report Highlights
- The Southeast Asian region, specifically the Philippines and India, dominate the outsourcing industry in the global market.
- Metro Manila came in fourth with a growth rate of 10.6% for the city’s IT-BPO employees.
- Other Philippine cities in the top 100 list:
- Cebu City (9th)
- Davao City (69th)
- Sta. Rosa, Laguna (86th)
- Iloilo City (92nd)
- Santa Rosa has improved by two notches while Iloilo City by 6 notches. Like Metro Manila, Cebu City is regarded as an established IT-BPO site.
- Voice-based customer support representatives remain to be the dominating IT-BPO workforce in the Philippines.
- More than half a million Filipinos work as call center agents.
- Major technology companies like Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Dell, Convergys and Teleperformance have expanded their BPO sectors in the Philippines to support the growing supply and demand.
Tholons forecasts that Southeast Asia will maintain its position in the next year, and there is also an emerging IT-BPO trend in Europe, specifically Poland and the Czech Republic.